Top animal-based sources of iron include:
– liver (chicken, lamb);
– egg (chicken);
– canned salmon.
Plant-based sources of iron:
– plant foods containing non-haem iron can still provide an adequate amount of iron for the body.
Good sources include:
– legumes (such as lentils, beans and chickpeas);
– firm tofu;
– pumpkin seeds (pepitas);
– dried apricots;
– nuts, especially cashews and almonds
– wholegrain cereals such as oats or muesli, wholemeal bread, brown rice, amaranth and quinoa;
– dried apricots
– vegetables such as kale, broccoli, spinach and green peas.